Friday, August 27, 2010

I'm back (I think)

I'm back...I think.


Sorry for the long delay in posting about my food and travel adventures. It's a long story. Suffice it to say that I've packed up and left Hawaii. I'm now in Hanoi. I went to Ho Chi Minh City in June to get CELTA certification, and while I was planning to move to Japan after that, I ended up back in Hanoi. This city has changed tremendously since the last time I lived here. I first came to Hanoi in 1994 (for six weeks), then lived here for a year in 1997-98, then once again for a year in 2002. It's nothing like it used to be 16 years ago. I might as well be on a different planet, in fact. It's good to be back here, though the traffic could be better...

I'm living on Truc Bach Lake, which is most famous for being where John McCain was shot down in 1967. It's too bad it's known for that, because the area is very peaceful -- it's probably the most peaceful part of Hanoi; at least the area where my apartment is incredibly peaceful. I'll include a couple photos for anyone curious to know what a foreigner's digs might look like here.


I'm on the top floor of the gray building. The lake, as you'll see below, is right in front.

I basically have a studio. But it's big, airy, and filled with light, and I can cook here (as long as I don't need an oven).

The left side of my balcony.

The right side of my balcony. This is what I look at when I go to bed and wake up in the morning. No complaints!

That's it for now. I've got my first post of Hanoi to put up, and hopefully I'll have lots more.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

  1. Hello! It has indeed been a while, but it sounds as if you've been quite busy. Your new home looks lovely and the view is fantastic! Best wishes for your current endeavors and looking forward to reading about your ovenless food & cooking adventures in Hanoi. 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tangled Noodle! Thank you for not forgetting me, and thank you, too, for your comments. 8-) It’s hard to start up again after so long away, but I have a bit more time on my hands now and I’m just eating so darned well here that I feel a need to share! Hahaha. I hope I can keep it up…Thanks again, and I hope all's well on your side of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sophie! Thanks for welcoming me back. : ) So far I'm having a lot of fun here, and I'm eating well, too! Have fun in Brussels!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Welcome back Sapuche! Glad to see you back after a while. Seem you quite busy. Oh...so many photos of your new posted ahead, I thirsty to read and view your photos...then I going for that..Have a present stay for Japanese trip!
    Greeting from Bangkok!
    Tan;)

    ReplyDelete