Friday, February 6, 2009

Salmon Soup


Here is another of my mom’s great recipes. I’m not sure where she got it, but I know she’s adapted it to her own tastes. Although salmon is one of the most versatile fish around, I realize that salmon soup probably doesn’t sound that good, especially since the salmon used here comes from a can. (Eek!) But this is a delicious, pretty healthy dish, it’s easy to make, and it’s an excellent soup for freezing.

Ingredients
2-3 potatoes, cubed
2 large carrots, sliced
1 green pepper, chopped
1/3 cup onion, chopped
1-2 ribs celery, chopped
One can cream of celery soup
1 lb can of tomatoes (or 1 can of Rotel tomatoes)
1/8 teaspoon thyme
4 cups milk (I use 2%)
1/4 cup flour
1 lb can of salmon

Directions
1. Microwave all vegetables until tender (8-10 minutes or so on high).

Microwaved veggies

2. In a large pan that holds at least 3 quarts (12 cups), place one can of cream of celery soup, one 1-lb can of tomatoes with juice, and 1/8 teaspoon of thyme with a little pepper to taste. Thicken this mixture with at least 1 cup of milk and about 1/4 cup flour, stirring occasionally for a couple of minutes. At this point there's no need to use heat. Or at least I don't...

3. Combine all of the previous ingredients with 3 cups of milk and a 1 lb can of salmon. (My mom usually picks out the big pieces of skin but leaves the bones in; they're soft and full of calcium.) Bring to serving temperature (you don’t have to cook it too long), then let it cook a little longer. Try not to let it boil, but make sure it gets hot enough for eating.

4. Add a little Tabasco sauce if you want. You can also sprinkle the soup with some grated cheese (we used leftover goat cheese tonight, and it was excellent) and let it melt in the soup. My mom usually thickens the soup with flour, but you can also use pureed or grated potato or additional carrot for thickening. Add a little parsley and voila! It goes great with a salad and garlic bread (the kind where garlic bulbs are baked into the bread).

A little garlic bread...

...and dinner is served

Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments:

  1. I think salmon in soup is terrific. I've used it in brothy, sour soups like Filipino sinigang which is flavored with tamarind but chowder-y ones like this are even better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment in my blog borboletaafricana.Specially because you wrote in portuguese.
    I am trying to translate (with a special program ) my blogs into other languages such as english, french and italian .
    I understand english but I don´t write very well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tangled Noodle: I'm not familiar with sinigang, but your mention of using salmon in it has me inspired to learn more. Thanks for your comment!

    Borboleta Africana: I must admit that I wrote my comment to you in English and then had Google Translator (translate.google.com) translate it into Portuguese. Sneaky of me, I know. :) Your English is very good, by the way. Boa sorte com seu blog, e obrigado por seu comentário.

    ReplyDelete